Turn Back Time: The High Street in 3d

November 3, 2010
Shepton Mallet market place

Shepton Mallet market place

BBC One brings the story of the British High Street to life in Turn Back Time, an exciting and ambitious new series that transports four empty shops and a group of contemporary shop-keeping families back to the High Street’s heyday in the 1870s, before propelling them through a century of dizzying change right up to the Seventies.

In the picturesque market square in Shepton Mallet, Somerset, the families’ lives are turned upside down as they get to grips with how shopkeepers lived and worked in six key eras of British history. Laced with real-life entertainment, family drama and human endeavour, the families have to deal with whatever history throws at them.

Alongside all the usual pressures of running a business, they’ll have to learn traditional skills and make their own produce by hand – each episode throwing new challenges their way as the High Street marches on into the modern era.

They are overseen by Turn Back Time’s own unique chamber of commerce (Gregg Wallace, Tom Herbert and Juliet Gardiner), which sets the challenges for each era and enforces accurate rules and regulations – revealing who has delivered on best customer service and weekly sales as the decades tick by.

The families will also live the life of each period, dressing, eating and playing as they once would have done – from 18-hour working days and wartime rationing, to evenings of entertainment sitting around the wireless, they’ll experience it all. But these are no museums. The shops will be serving modern-day customers who are used to the pace and convenience of 21st-century shopping. While the shopkeepers struggle with pounds, shillings and pence, will their customers welcome the old-fashioned delights of personal service and hand-delivered goods or will queuing, weighing and hand-wrapping tax their patience?

To see the full set of 119 3d photos click here.

Source: The BBC.

Bodden in 3d

October 15, 2010

Bodden

Bodden in 3d

The tiny settlement of Bodden was founded in 1541 by Earl Michael Bodden (1512-1569).

It lies at a t-junction of two narrow country lanes.

Consisting mainly of farms and a few houses the area has a tranquillity and peacefulness about it, only broken by the occasional horse and rider and, of course, the farm traffic.

The nearby Ingsdons Hill offers wonderful views across to nearby Shepton Mallet.

One former resident, Trish Bodden (1753-1777) disguised herself as a man to fight in the American War of Independence.

She was killed at Saratoga. Another, Ambrowse Bowden, was the first English colonist to settle in Maine.

 Source: The Webmaster and The Internet.

For more Somerset villages in 3d click here to go to the home page.

If you want to buy a Somerset3d/Speakin Zummerzet t-shirt please click here.

Speakin Zummerzet T-shirts avaiable at the Somerset 3d shop

T-shirt range available from the Somerset 3d shop

Great Elm in 3d

October 8, 2010
Great Elm

Great Elm - A 3d image

Great Elm is so named to distinguish it from the village of Little Elm (since developed as the village of Chantry).

South-west from the village lies Tedbury Camp, an earthwork where a pot of Roman coins was dug up in 1691.

The manor was held for the first 200 years from the Domesday Book by the Giffards. Later it was owned by the Hodges family, and then the Strachey’s.

Source: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

On SPEAKIN ZUMMERZET we start a new feature called OLLERDEE ZUMMERZET. It is a course of lessons for you to study over the next few months or so. Once completed you should be able to understand and be understood by the locals when you visit us next year.

To see more visit Somerset in 3d.

Chantry in 3d

October 5, 2010
Chantry
Chantry is a former industrial village based on the older hamlet of Little Elm, which was founded by James Fussell (1774-1845) of the family of edge-tool makers from Mells. Here he built (circa 1825) his solid uncompromising mansion, the Chantry, believed to take its name from the fact it stood on land with which a chantry at Whatley church had been endowed.
The ornamental lake below the mansion provided water powerfor the Fussell mills and around the house cottages were built that housed workers at the Chantry and Railroad works in the valley.
Chantry is one of Somerset’s eight ‘Thankful Villages’, a term coined by the writer Arthur Mee in the 1930’s to recognise those villages that suffered no loss of men during the First World War.
Source: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.
For more Somerset villages in 3d click here.

Cloford in 3d

September 23, 2010
Cloford in 3d

Cloford - a 3d image

The manor at Cloford was held from the 16th century by the Horner family from nearby Mells.

It was this family that, in 1633, built the tall Cloford House.

The church of St Mary has a Perpendicular west tower and contains two monuments to the Horner family who lived in the settlement, Maurice (d.1621) and Sir George (d.1676).

Source: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

To see more anaglyphs of Somerset villages, and other places I have visited please visit the main site.

Pitminster in 3d

September 17, 2010

Pitminster
Pitminster – a 3d image

Originally called Pipeminster, meaning ‘the minster or mother church of Pippa’s people’, the small village of Pitminster lies at the edge of the Blackdown Hills to the south of the county town of Taunton.

In 938 King Athelstan, Alfred’s grandson, gave the estate to the Bishop of Winchester and thereafter it formed part of the huge manor of Taunton Deane.

During the Civil War Lord George Goring lodged in the village, where trees were hastily felled to act as barricades for holding back the pursuers. Following Monmouth’s defeat, fugitives sought refuge in the countryside hereabouts. A double locked wooden coffer containing a horde of French coins, probably intended to have been retrieved by the rebel followers, was discovered by accident in a local farmhouse. A similar hoard was found at nearby Blagdon Hill.

The 13th century church of SS Margaret and Andrew contain impressive effigies of the Colles family of Barton Grange. Sources: The Somerset Book of Villages by Sheila Bird  and Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

For more 3d’s of Somerset and of other places I have visited please go to www.somerset3d.o.uk

Corfe in 3d

September 9, 2010

Corfe

Corfe - 3d image.

Although not mentioned in the Domesday Book Corfe has existed since Norman times. Its name is said to derive from an ancient word meaning ‘gap’ or ‘pass’ and this is borne out by the cleft in the hillside which takes the Honiton road over the Blackdown Hills from the village.

In the 18th century some hopefuls’ of Corfe went in search of the legendary riches associated with Castle Neroche, which is about 3 miles to the south-east. They took with them a local parson armed with salt and holy water, and arranged for the church bells to ring out as protection against the Devil, who reputedly guarded the treasure. Excavations began and, the story goes,

One man struck a large stone, which on lifting out disclosed an iron-bound trunk, the treasure chest! In his excitement he rapped out an almost blasphemous oath, and immediately the trunk sank down back into the large hole it had previously occupied which then closed up. Disheartened, they left their tunnel, but came back the next evening and for a few more times, but ill-fortune dogged them. One stubbed his hand on an old tree stump, another had his foot crushed, and finally, one sultry evening when the whole air was tense with a brooding thunderstorm, their nerves gave way in panic, and with yells of terror, they dropped their tools, and in deadly fear scattered to the woods, to find their way later to the security of the village. Once there they could hardly speak coherently to explain what had happened save that “there was devils up in the mount, they know’d there was, cos they’d yer’d em and zeed ‘em too”. They nearly all took sick, some died in a raging fever, other recovered, but shaken and broken men: and all the band, through terrible accidents or lingering sickness were dead before the year was out’.

Sources: The Avon Village Book by The Avon Federation of Women’s Institute and Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

For more 3d photos of Somerset villages, and other places in Europe please visit www.somerset3d.co.uk

West Buckland in 3d

September 2, 2010

West Buckland
West Buckland. A 3d image. Red & Cyan glasses required to see the 3d effect.

West Buckland was one of the villages to possess a Holy Thorn Tree, originally taken as a cutting from the Glastonbury Thorn, which is said to have sprouted from the staff of Joseph of Arimathea.

The village, formerly named ‘Bocland’ knew importance in Saxon times as ‘lands in possession of the King’. The West Buckland Hoard, containing a bronze bracelet, torque, palstave and scabbard, was accidentally discovered during the 19th century in the course of excavating a drain.

The village is reputedly the birthplace of Sir George Bond, Lord Mayor of London in the Armada year.

Sources: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush and Somerset Villages by Sheila Bird.

For many more villages in 3d please visit Somerset3d.

Wootton Courtenay in 3d

August 26, 2010
Wootton Courtenay in 3d

Wootton Courtenay. A 3d image.

William the Conqueror gave Wootton Courtenay to William of Falaise after the Conquest.

In the 13th century the manor passed on to John de Courtenay, whose family later became earls of Devon and gave their name to both manor and parish.

The church of All Saints has a 13th century west tower, finished off by a saddleback roof dated 1866. The remainder, including the octagonal font, is mainly 15th century but, in common with most Somerset churches, was drastically restored in the 19th century.

Source: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

For more pictures visit the Wootton Courtenay page on Somerset3d.

Allerford in 3d

August 19, 2010

Allerford

Allerford's packhorse bridge and cottage. 3D image.

After leaving Porlock we travelled the short distance to Allerford.

It is a wonderfully attractive hamlet and its’ bridge, Packhorse inn and cottage form one of the most photographed views in the county.

The former village school, established in 1822, now houses a museum, with antique tools, photographic exhibition, craft demonstrations and a recreated Victorian schoolroom with children’s costumes for dressing up.

Source: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.