Archive for September, 2010

Cloford in 3d

September 23, 2010
Cloford in 3d

Cloford - a 3d image

The manor at Cloford was held from the 16th century by the Horner family from nearby Mells.

It was this family that, in 1633, built the tall Cloford House.

The church of St Mary has a Perpendicular west tower and contains two monuments to the Horner family who lived in the settlement, Maurice (d.1621) and Sir George (d.1676).

Source: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

To see more anaglyphs of Somerset villages, and other places I have visited please visit the main site.

Pitminster in 3d

September 17, 2010

Pitminster
Pitminster – a 3d image

Originally called Pipeminster, meaning ‘the minster or mother church of Pippa’s people’, the small village of Pitminster lies at the edge of the Blackdown Hills to the south of the county town of Taunton.

In 938 King Athelstan, Alfred’s grandson, gave the estate to the Bishop of Winchester and thereafter it formed part of the huge manor of Taunton Deane.

During the Civil War Lord George Goring lodged in the village, where trees were hastily felled to act as barricades for holding back the pursuers. Following Monmouth’s defeat, fugitives sought refuge in the countryside hereabouts. A double locked wooden coffer containing a horde of French coins, probably intended to have been retrieved by the rebel followers, was discovered by accident in a local farmhouse. A similar hoard was found at nearby Blagdon Hill.

The 13th century church of SS Margaret and Andrew contain impressive effigies of the Colles family of Barton Grange. Sources: The Somerset Book of Villages by Sheila Bird  and Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

For more 3d’s of Somerset and of other places I have visited please go to www.somerset3d.o.uk

Corfe in 3d

September 9, 2010

Corfe

Corfe - 3d image.

Although not mentioned in the Domesday Book Corfe has existed since Norman times. Its name is said to derive from an ancient word meaning ‘gap’ or ‘pass’ and this is borne out by the cleft in the hillside which takes the Honiton road over the Blackdown Hills from the village.

In the 18th century some hopefuls’ of Corfe went in search of the legendary riches associated with Castle Neroche, which is about 3 miles to the south-east. They took with them a local parson armed with salt and holy water, and arranged for the church bells to ring out as protection against the Devil, who reputedly guarded the treasure. Excavations began and, the story goes,

One man struck a large stone, which on lifting out disclosed an iron-bound trunk, the treasure chest! In his excitement he rapped out an almost blasphemous oath, and immediately the trunk sank down back into the large hole it had previously occupied which then closed up. Disheartened, they left their tunnel, but came back the next evening and for a few more times, but ill-fortune dogged them. One stubbed his hand on an old tree stump, another had his foot crushed, and finally, one sultry evening when the whole air was tense with a brooding thunderstorm, their nerves gave way in panic, and with yells of terror, they dropped their tools, and in deadly fear scattered to the woods, to find their way later to the security of the village. Once there they could hardly speak coherently to explain what had happened save that “there was devils up in the mount, they know’d there was, cos they’d yer’d em and zeed ‘em too”. They nearly all took sick, some died in a raging fever, other recovered, but shaken and broken men: and all the band, through terrible accidents or lingering sickness were dead before the year was out’.

Sources: The Avon Village Book by The Avon Federation of Women’s Institute and Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.

For more 3d photos of Somerset villages, and other places in Europe please visit www.somerset3d.co.uk

West Buckland in 3d

September 2, 2010

West Buckland
West Buckland. A 3d image. Red & Cyan glasses required to see the 3d effect.

West Buckland was one of the villages to possess a Holy Thorn Tree, originally taken as a cutting from the Glastonbury Thorn, which is said to have sprouted from the staff of Joseph of Arimathea.

The village, formerly named ‘Bocland’ knew importance in Saxon times as ‘lands in possession of the King’. The West Buckland Hoard, containing a bronze bracelet, torque, palstave and scabbard, was accidentally discovered during the 19th century in the course of excavating a drain.

The village is reputedly the birthplace of Sir George Bond, Lord Mayor of London in the Armada year.

Sources: Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush and Somerset Villages by Sheila Bird.

For many more villages in 3d please visit Somerset3d.